Monday, November 4, 2013

MAKE-IT MONDAY: OWL PUMPKIN!

 
Would you believe that at my unspecified age, I have never carved a pumpkin before? Well, believe it. Tonight-yes November 4th, don't judge me-I carved my first pumpkin! Before Halloween, I wanted to carve Loki, but I couldn't print the stencil because my printer abhors me. I wanted to carve something that wouldn't look too ridiculous sitting outside well into November, so tonight I freehanded the only bird I like- and the becoming-theme of my kitchen- an owl.

He was cute, but too big. I had to scale him down, and then figure out which parts I wanted to cut out complete, shave, and leave. This is SO much harder than I thought it would be because you have to cut to make the shapes and give your pumpkin an identifiable form, BUT you have to leave parts in tact for structure! It took me almost 2.5 hours from start to finish. 15 minutes of that was Matt trying to convince me to put my hand inside that disgusting, stringy, seedy hole and rip the guts out. Oh, that was ICKY! But, I did it, and in true OCD style, I re-drew my plan over and over, and over again on the skin with a dry erase marker. It comes right off so it worked perfectly!
After I was completely done carving scooping sawing drawing poking scraping shaping this beauty, I put some bleach and water in the sink, dunked the pumpkin inside and out with the mixture, let it dries, slathered some Vaseline on that bad boy, and put it outside.
I am SO proud of myself! My first pumpkin came out pretty damn good if I say so myself. There! I said so myself!

whooo! whoooo!

Preserved and nocturnal, between the child's plastic fall pumpkins.
 
 
Here are the others. Matt's Thunderbirds logo, and the child's felt, painted, and pierced creatures.
 
 
While it may be a bit late in the game, I've just put my November pumpkin out! What did you carve this year? Do you freehand or use stencils? Let me know with a comment down below!
 
Thanks for stopping by to my first Make-it Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips